Friday, 12 September 2014

Gnosall, civilisation and we have Internet!

Yesterday saw us ascend the five Adderley locks , then the five Tyrley locks before mooring for the day at Goldstone Wharf.  For the first time in a good while, we had no telephony/Internet but at least had Tv.

The day had dawned mild if a little cloudy.  It was however warm and as the day progressed it got very warm.  We soon began the ascent of the rather pleasant Adderley flight, having set the washer on before we moved off, this went onto hold until the flight was completed and the travel power could be re engaged.  These are easy locks, or would be if the by washes were not so fierce, still, no shortage of water!.  We were soon up and on our way towards Market Drayton and so the washer was re engaged on the lock free section, completing on the outskirts of town.

We moored just after Lords bridge and walked into town to do a little shopping.  Market Drayton is I am sorry to say, still as depressing as on our last visit.  There are many empty shops and many a charity shop.  For such an outwardly pleasant town, it is sad to see.  We walked back to the boat, moved onto the services and when completed, moved on.

We then began the ascent of the five Tyreley locks without incident.  The sun was out as we entered Woodseaves cutting, but the tree cover blotted out much of the light.  This is a deep narrow and somewhat dank cutting, the towpath somewhat waterlogged.  Fortunately, we met only one boat when making the passage.  As we re entered the sunshine, our day's destination hove into view, Goldstone Wharf.  Surprisingly, the visitor moorings were empty, so we picked the very first, which allowed us to sit in the sun just beyond the hedge.  It also allowed us to get the "Whirley Gig" out to dry the washing.

Being so close to the Pub, we just had to visit for a meal......and a couple of drinks of course.

Miles 7.5
Locks 10

Today we had a later start as we had no locks to contend with.  The day was mostly cloudy, but pleasant all the same. We were soon onto the Shebdon Embankment, a rather understated piece of canal engineering, the canal elevated above the surrounding countryside. Then past the what seems like miles of moorings ending at the renowned Anchor PH. Then into Grub street cutting, narrow and overshadowed  by trees, ending with the much photographed High Bridge.

At the very quiet Norbury Junction we stopped briefly to empty the cassette.  Norbury Wharf really are taking the Mickey here, with boats moored six deep opposite the services, greatly reducing the navigation.  Luckily, as it was quiet, it was no great problem.  Then along the Shelmore Embankment and to our destination, Gnosall.

It remained quiet boat wise all day.  We moored easily and after chilling walked into the village, intending to visit the church which had a good write up in our Nicholson's.  It was locked! So we walked back, buying bread and milk at the Co-op.  We intended eating at The Boat inn, but due to a bereavement, they were closed for food, so we walked up to The Oak and had a good meal.

Our last full day on the Shroppy tomorrow, then we have to decide on our route towards home.

Miles 9.5

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments