Friday, 28 October 2011

The saga continues ....

As planned Sam arrived on Thursday morning and replaced the prop, which was damaged.  We were soon back in the water and took a trip up to the next winding hole to see if everything was ok.  After about 1/2 mile the knocking started again.  We cruised back to Foxton and met Sam again, he had been in contact with someone who is familiar with the stern gland and he made a few adjustments but it did not solve the problem.  After lots of deliberation it was decided that we need to come back out of the water again and a new stern gland, prop shaft and cutlas bearing fitted depending on delivery and availability this should be done on Monday or Tuesday.

We are back at Foxton for the weekend, I can think of much worse places to be.  It has been a lovely day today, following the rain yesterday.  I went into Market Harborough on the bus to stock up on shopping earlier and had a wander around. 

Pictures from our moorings

Wednesday, 26 October 2011

We are suspended!

We awoke to a lovely chilly morning.  After filling up with water we descended Foxton locks and moored up at the bottom.  We went for lunch at Bridge 61 whilst the washing was drying and then walked towards Debdale Wharf looking for a suitable mooring closer to the wharf.  Foxton to Debdale isn't far and the only places to moor had boats on, so on arrival at Debdale we went and asked if we could moor on the wharf ready to be lifted out tomorrow.  They said 'yes' so we walked back to Foxton and then cruised back to Debdale.  We moored, got the satellite set up, then watched a boat being put into the water, then another, then we were asked if it was ok to lift us out tonight rather than the morning, so we are now on sleepers rather higher than normal! 

Sun rising

Foxton Locks



& away!

Tonight's mooring! 

1.5 miles 10 locks 

Tuesday, 25 October 2011

Quick Update

Following Sam's visit on Monday we are booked into Debdale on Thursday for Triskaideka to come out of the water.  We have pondered and scratched our heads, as has Sam, Ali & Neil and hopefully Thursday will   bring some conclusion.  So we are still at the top of Foxton locks and will go down tomorrow.

Today we had a visit from Helen, Isabella and Harry.  Isabella had great fun feeding the swan with Uncle John and then when the heavens opened on our walk back down the locks to the car, she had the best fun off all jumping in all the puddles, so much so that she had to have a change of clothes before the drive home!  It was lovely to see them all.

Sunday, 23 October 2011

A cake, a birthday party and a cruise

I went home for a couple of days on Wednesday, everything was fine with the house.  Whilst there I did Isabella's Thomas birthday cake, I was happy with the cake but despite two attempts at his face I still thought he was a little scary and would have made a good halloween cake, but Isabella seemed happy with him, the fat controller was good though, even though I say it myself.   On Saturday we went to her birthday party, lots of young children (about 25 of them), it was really good and they all enjoyed themselves.

Today we set out for a couple of days cruising, we left the marina, heading for Foxton, as thats as far as we can go with the current restrictions.  We were hoping and praying that everything was ok with the stern gland but we hadn't gone far when it started knocking.  We decided to carry on, as we thought that it may need to 'bed in' after the recent adjustments, but no joy, it continued to knock and was as bad as ever.  We have made it to Foxton and Sam (the engineer) is coming to us again in the morning.  There were lots of gongoozlers at the locks, but unfortunately not many boats for them to look at due to the restrictions.
Fat Controller

Scary Thomas Cake 


& the headless fat controller as Isabella ate him!

Along the Leicester line

It was a 'tad' chilly' this morning

Welford turn 

15 miles

Monday, 17 October 2011

Sods law

Well Neil and Sam turned up this morning, after showing them the clip I recorded on my phone on Friday of the noise we have from the stern gland, Sam checked everything and could find nothing wrong.  We ran the engine in gear whilst tied up, still nothing, so despite the weather (very windy) we decided to go out for a while.  We cruised towards Crick to the first winding hole and back, sods law, nothing, not one little knock.  We are all bemused, especially John and I as it was so bad on Friday.  The only thing we can do is take her out for a couple of days and see how it goes, but the weather forecast is for high winds for the next few days so we might have to wait until next week as we have some other commitments at the end of this week.

Sunday, 16 October 2011

A quick trip unfortunately

On Friday we set off, on a lovely autumn morning.  Unfortunately the problem with the stern gland was soon in evidence, so we had a very short trip up to the first winding hole and returned to the marina.  Neil from Beacon and the engineer are due at 9:30 in the morning and we will know more after tomorrow, if it is necessary we have a dry dock booked for Friday morning at Crick.

Its been a lovely weekend, we walked into Crick along the canal, there was a few narrow boats on the move enjoying the good weather, and today we had a visit from Pip & Roger from NB Windsong, it was really good to see them and catch up on their travels and swap funny stories from over the summer.

This afternoon we had an unexpected fly pass from the vulcan, unfortunately the pictures are not very good as it was nearly over by the time I got the camera.

Vulcan (nearly missed it!) 

 Sunset over the marina

One of the carp in the marina

Wednesday, 12 October 2011

Fingers Crossed & a little bit more

Kinver Canopies came on Tuesday to fit the tonneau cover to Triskaideka, we ordered this a couple of weeks ago and are really pleased with it.  They have made use of as many of possible fixings that hold the pram hood.  Also Neil from Beacon Boats and Scott from Soar Mechanical Services came out to look at the problems we have been having.  The exhaust has been adjusted, the engine serviced and the stern gland tweaked, hopefully (fingers crossed) this will solve the problems.  We are hoping to head out on Friday to cruise for a few days and to test the adjustments.  Due to stoppages we are going to cruise to Foxton and back.